Every now and then there’s an animal rescue story that takes my breath away. Oliviero’s is one such story.
Please note that this story includes some graphic images that may be disturbing to some readers.
Two women were walking in Messina in southern Italy when they stumbled across a trash bag lying in a dry river. They heard whimpers coming from the bag and went to investigate. What they found shocked and horrified them.
The dog had been bound with electrical wire, put in a garbage bag and then dumped along the Terme Vigliatore river. To add to the horror of the scene, a dead calf lay rotting nearby.
Help was called and an animal rescue volunteer, Linda Li, arrived on the scene. She noted that the young dog was in serious condition. His body was covered with hundreds of ticks and fly larvae and he was in shock and dehydrated.
“They were eating [him] alive,” Linda said of the insects. His rescuers gave him water and then immediately loaded him into a car and rushed him to a vet.